|Home | Articles | Plans | Tips | Tools | Jigs | Resources | Shop Tours | Projects | Links | Woodworking Indexes | About Me | Contact Us|
We decided that the bench could be designed with some minor variations and could be made to fit the spaces. We decided to "let the cat out of the bag" so to speak, so that I would not build the benches too large for them to use, and this dictated that I would need to measure the spaces for length. My youngest daughter had the smallest space, so I made the design to fit her space first (which would also work in my older daughter's more accommodating area) and then built them both to the same length (53" long X 16 1/2" deep X 20" tall).
I also finished them to what
the girls wanted. The oldest daughter wanted me to paint her bench
black but since I was planning on using poplar, I wanted the grain to show
through and convinced her to let me use an ebony stain. It turned
out great and accomplished what I wanted it to. The youngest daughter
was going to use her bench in a foyer area close to her newly remodeled
kitchen which sported brand new cherry cabinets. Needless to say,
I used a cherry stain on her bench. Below is the final results of
both the benches. (NOTE: Missing in the photos are some weaved
baskets that will eventually be used in the three openings of each bench).
The left photo is the oldest daughter's ebony stained bench and the right photo is the youngest daughter's cherry stained bench. You can check out some other photos of the building process and of some of the steps along the way in the article that follows and let me know what you think!
You can see the finished dado cuts in the photo above left.
In the right photo, you can see that I also used #20 biscuits cut into the edges of the bottom panels (on all four sides) to hold the face frame in place. The end, top and back panels were also held in place by this same method.
The photo on the left (below)
shows one of the benches from the front after the face frame, top, bottom
and both end panels have been glued up and being clamped. The photo
on the right (below) shows the same thing from more of a 3/4 view from
the back side of the partially assembled bench.
The picture below is a three quarter view of the bench shown in the two photos above after the clamps were removed and before the back and top perimeter trim pieces were installed...... just another view! This is (at this stage) what I consider the project being about three fourths finished.
As always..... your comments are welcome!
|Links | Home | About Me | Contact Us | Sitemap ||
|Site designed by Dave Haynes This page last updated on March 17, 2013|
|Copyright © 2008-2013 Adept Resources. All rights reserved.|