'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros  

'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros
                                                                   "Where woodworkers are not all Pros"
  Home | Articles | Plans | Tips | Tools | Jigs | Resources | Shop Tours | Projects | Links | Woodworking Indexes | About Me | Contact Us


Google
 
Library Upper Unit Logo
Well, if you're still with me, we'll move on to some of the processes involved in building the upper unit that would eventually be attached to the lower unit completing the entire library.  The photo immediately below is what this upper unit looked like after all work was done and it was attached to the base.
3/4 view of finished upper unit attached to lower unit.
We think the dark walnut over TransTint® orange dye looks great with our new 5" figured hickory flooring in the room.  I had wanted to add a library to our family room as soon as we built it onto our home and that was over 30 years ago!

And Now To Continue....
I began the upper shelving unit by jointing the edges of the upright, top and bottom panel boards so that I could edge glue them.  I would also do this to the boards that would eventually be the shelves but I wanted to wait until the first pieces were assembled in order to get the exact measurements of the shelving boards required.
The upper case would consist of two upright end panels, two center panels, a top panel and a bottom panel.  In the left picture below, you can see one of the glued up panels being clamped.  In the right photo is the beginning of the upper case after adding the two center panels and center shelves.  I added dados to all the upright pieces to support the shelving throughout.
 
Glued and clamped upright panel.
Glued and clamped upper unit panel.
Beginning stages of assembly.
Beginning upper unit assembly.
Upper unit shelves being cut to length with panel sled.
After the initial assembly with the center shelving and all uprights in place, I then had enough of the upper case completed to get the outer shelf measurements.  Once these were obtained, I installed my panel sled on the table saw and began cutting the shelving into the proper overall lengths as shown here in the photo on the left side of the page.

Various Assembly Stages Of Upper Unit....

The next step was to install the final cut shelving into the main case.  The unit looked like the left photo below after these shelves were installed.  In the right photo below is a view of the unit after I had made and installed contoured header pieces and the face frame.  Note that the face frame was made with extended top & bottom rails on the left side where I would eventually install the half round side shelves.
Upper case after all the 
shelving had been installed.
Upper case with all shelving installed.
Upper case after face frame and 
contoured headers were in place.
Upper case with all shelving and contoured headers in place.

Half round shelves after being glued and clamped.As I said earlier, I wanted to make half round shelves on the left side of the upper case to emulate what had been done on the lower unit.  After adding an upright panel to the back of the section where these half round shelves were to be placed, I also made extended bottom and top pieces for this area.  You can see in the photo here on the right side of the page how this section looked laying on my workbench before installing it onto the main upper case.



Upper case showing upright mouldings being clamped to the face frame.The next thing that I did was to make some mouldings to fit on the upright sections of the face frame and to fit around the base of the upper unit after it was installed onto the lower unit.  I thought that this would add a little more detail to the finished look.  You can see the face frame upright mouldings being clamped to the upper case here on the left and the base mouldings in the finished photo at the top of this page.
Well, at this point I was about done with the upper case unit.  I only had to apply the finish to it.  I of course, used the same finish as the lower unit by dying the case with the TransTint® orange dye, using fine steel wool on it after it had dried and then applied the Varathane dark walnut gel stain.  As with the lower case, I applied two coats of clear urethane to finish it off.  The photo here on the left below shows how everything looked just prior to the finishing and the one on the right is how the case looked after all the finishing was completed (less the back panel.)

 
Upper case just prior
to applying the finish.
Upeer case prior to applying the finish.
The completed unit after finish 
was applied and before back
panel was installed.
Upper case after finish had been applied.

The last thing I had to do was prepare and install the back.  I used 1/4" thick veneered white oak plywood using the same finishing scheme as all the rest.  When this had been completed and after drafting my son-in-law to help me get this beast into my family room and onto the top of the lower unit, this is how it all looked.

Finished upper case prior to loading it up with books.

I definitely had fun building this library even though it set me back a really good chunk of change for all the quarter sawn white oak, but it really helped the appearance of our family room and is a long awaited place for us to more attractively store our books.

Dave
dave@oldaveswoodshop.com
 

'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros footer  


Links | Home  | About Me  | Contact Us  |  Sitemap | 
Site designed by Dave Haynes  This page last updated on March 17, 2013
Copyright © 2008-2013 Adept Resources. All rights reserved.
Bookmark and Share